A lot of Australians celebrate Mother’s Day by showing their appreciation for the efforts and achievements of their mothers & mother figures. It’s observed on the second Sunday of May every year. So, if you want to appreciate your mother or mother figure including guardians, relatives, stepmother and close family members, start planning from now how you would want to celebrate this auspicious day!
There are some organisations that have Mother’s Day patrons who work together with media & general community for raising awareness on Mother’s Day events, which aim to raise funds for non-profit or charitable causes.
Your Mother's Day activities and events can include:
- Organised runs or walks to raise money for causes like breast cancer research.
- Lunches, dinners, brunches or afternoon teas at cafes, restaurants or home.
- Visits to the movies, zoo, botanical gardens or other places of interest.
- Handmade cards or gifts being presents to mother figures or mothers.
- Chocolates, flowers, gift vouchers, clothing and other gifts which are given to mother figures or mothers.
- Mother’s Day stories being publicised in newspapers, magazines, TV, radio or internet.
- Poems on Mother’s Day being printed, broadcast or presented to mother figures and mothers.
Most families even spend the day having picnic in the beaches or parks on Mother’s Day.
Mother’s Day isn’t a federal holiday but it’s on the second Sunday of May when several organisations, government offices and schools are closed. The public transports run to their normal schedules as they do on Sunday and cafes or restaurants can be busier as some people take their mother figures or mothers out for a treat. Department stores and shops can even be busy in places where there is Sunday trading.
In Australia, Mother’s Day is observed in the same date as in the US. But it’s an Australian who is basically credited to have started the tradition of presenting gifts to mother or mother figure on this day. Cards, flowers and chocolates are the most popular gifts that symbolise one’s appreciation and love for their mother figure or mother. So, you can buy any one of them from a store nearby your locality and present your mother with it.
If you stay anywhere near Morwell, you can visit Flowers In the Valley. It is the shop where you can get a wide range of gifts for your mother – flowers, chocolates, cards, ornaments and much more – all at a reasonable price. And the best part is you can even order it online and get it delivered right at your doorstep.