I even attended a networking meeting a few days before and asked people to raise their hands who worried on a regular basis. Most of the people showed their hands. That’s fine! Worrying is natural. We all do it but there were a few people who I found addicted to worrying.
Worrying is not at all good for health. It makes a person feel anxious and causes sleepless nights. It affects the personal as well as professional lives of an individual. It can spoil the enjoyment of life, keep us concentrated on the problems, waste our time and hinder us to move forward in our lives. It is thus not at all beneficial for people; rather it can create great deal of anxiety. It is the key characteristic of the condition, which is termed as ‘generalized anxiety’.
Finding ways to manage worry better helps in reducing the anxiety levels and improves the quality of life and sense of well-being. You can take the worry test below in order to see how you are doing.
Ask the following questions to yourself:
- What is it that is worrying me?
- What can I do about it?
- If you haven’t found any answer to the second question, try to distract yourself whenever the thoughts that worry you come to your mind.
- If you have found an answer to the second question, do the things that are needed. First, make a list of the things which can do or just create an action plan.
- Ask yourself if you can find out anything that can be done right now.
- If there is something that you can do right now which could think about, then first think about the pros and cons of your immediate action. Weigh it and then if you feel it right just get it done right then. You will surely feel better and stop worrying.
- If the answer is no-if you are unable to find out anything which can be done right now, plan when is the right time to do it.
Guest Author: Keeping the worries in head can be a painful affair. Consult with me for professional assistance. I am Jade, a psychologist in Bondi Junction, Australia. I can help any women dealing with these kinds of situations in a more manageable manner.